Should You Hire a Temp as a Permanent Employee?
Qualified candidates can be hard to find! The hiring process can be tedious once you consider all the steps involved: posting an ad, interviewing, screening, hiring and training. When you work with a staffing agency, this cuts down your search time considerably. Plus, you can choose the staffing level that works best for your needs: either temporary, temp-to-hire or direct hire.
So, what happens if you’ve brought workers on as temps, but would like to hire them as permanent employees? This decision is a big one. After all, turnover is costly and you want to be sure you’re making a wise hiring choice.
The good news? Your temp staff are excellent choices as full-time, permanent employees. Here’s why:
- They already know the job and the company. Your temp workers have already been on-boarded and trained, either by you or your staffing company. They’re familiar with the roles and responsibilities of their position and know what you expect in terms of performance, output and deadlines.
- You’ve seen what they can do. You’ve already experienced what your temp brings to the job. This means you have an idea of skills, work ethic, productivity and attitude; something you can only guess at with a fresh new hire.
- They’ve experienced your corporate culture. And if you’re considering them as a permanent hire, they probably fit in. Corporate cultures vary widely—some support quiet, independent work and others are all about conversation and collaboration. By hiring a temp employee, you know they won’t have culture shock transitioning to your company.
- Your staff is familiar with them. The rest of your team is just as important when it comes to your hiring decision. Your temp employees have already worked alongside your full-timers—getting to know and respect each other.
- You can fill your permanent position quickly. Taking all the above into consideration, the time it will take to onboard and train a temp worker for a permanent position is basically non-existent—they already know the job. This makes it quick and easy for you to fill the position.
The role of your staffing partner
Your recruiter is a valuable resource in your hiring process. They will work with you to understand your unique staffing needs and place you with candidates that match. This way, if you’re thinking of a temp-to-hire situation, your recruiter can be sure you’re placed with a candidate open to the potential offer of permanent work.
Looking to fill open positions?
Whether your staffing needs are temporary or permanent, you can rely on the services of Hamilton-Ryker. If you’re looking for administrative and light industrial employees in Smyrna, TN and beyond, just contact us today to learn more!